The mobile app is like the brain of the robot vacuum. Here you can make a lot of settings that make cleaning much more straightforward.
There are two ways to control your Roborock S6 MaxV: Roborock App (iOS / Android) or Xiaomi Home App (iOS / Android). Both are available for iOS and Android.
Xiaomi Mi Home App
Which app works best for me?
Both apps are pretty similar in terms of functionality and design.
If you have other smart home devices from Xiaomi, it’s more practical to control all these devices via one app (Xiaomi Home App).
The manufacturer wants to provide more flexibility with its Roborock app. They introduce new functions and bug fixes faster via updates (you won’t depend on Xiaomi's long release cycles).
We use the Roborock App and had only positive experiences with the app so far. They release many new functions (e.g. saving multiple maps) much faster via updates in the in-house Roborock app.
Reactive AI for obstacle detection
You can see where the Roborock S6 MaxV is during its cleaning trip live on the map. It directly draws detected obstacles on the map.
If you have a pet at home, you should activate the "Pet Mode". In this mode, the robot vacuum recognises things more efficiently as obstacles that your pet left behind (e.g. toys and even pet excrement).
Then you can click on an obstacle symbol - if you activated the "Real photos" function in the app - and see a photo of the detected obstacle in the app.
Click on the icon to view more details about the obstacle:
- Information on what the obstacle is.
- The probability with which it detected the object as an obstacle.
You don't want all that extra fuzz? No problem.
You can easily deactivate the Reactive AI technology for obstacle detection via the app.
Remote viewing function
At the end of July 2020, Roborock UK released a new function for the Roborock App with an update:
The remote viewing function.
The update doesn’t automatically activate the function. You have to start it yourself in the "Settings".
With this, you can receive live images from the cleaning trip on your smartphone.
Furthermore, you can even communicate via the robot vacuum. You have to press and hold the microphone button in the Roborock App and record the voice message. Roborock S6 MaxV will then play your message.
What good does the remote viewing function do?
There are many different applications for the new remote viewing function of the Roborock S6 MaxV.
Your Roborock S6 MaxV isn’t "just a cleaning helper" anymore but can also take over "surveillance tasks" in your home.
We’ll give you an idea of that in the following.
You can use the camera function to check on your flat while on the move.
Did I turn off the oven? Just open the Roborock app, navigate the robot vacuum to the kitchen, and you'll see.
Or you want to make sure you've locked the front door?
Or you want to check on your pet while you're on the road. Maybe you are on a trip for a more extended period and simply want to check on your flat after a week?
You can do all that and much more, thanks to the remote viewing technology of the Roborock S6 MaxV.
With the "Remote viewing", you can use your robot vacuum in entirely new areas. The Roborock S6 MaxV is no longer just a "cleaning device" but can also perform some "monitoring tasks" for you.
Other essential app functions at a glance
In addition to the Reactive AI technology and the "remote viewing function", the app also offers many other great features and setting options:
- You can save up to 4 maps with the mobile phone app. You can also edit these maps as desired.
- You can set the cleaning mode and the water intensity rate for each room individually in the app. This way, the robot vacuum can clean heavily soiled rooms (e.g. kitchen) at a higher suction level/with higher water intensity.
- You can switch carpet detection on and off.
- You can set the rooms’ order in which the robot vacuum should clean them in the app (selective room division).
- You can define no-go zones and no-mop zones in the saved map. The robot vacuum will avoid these when cleaning (e.g. cat litter box, children's play area, dog food bowl, etc.).
- Using the programming function, you can have the robovac clean your home entirely automatically on certain days/at specific times. Once you set up a weekly schedule, you just have to empty the dust container once a week. The robot vacuum will clean your home automatically, and you won’t have to raise a finger.
- You can view the status of individual spare parts via the menu item "Maintenance".
- You can control the robot vacuum manually with a joystick. It’s not that useful, but it is still fun ?
- Language selection (English, German, Chinese etc.)
- You can name the individual rooms as you like.
Reactive AI technology and data protection:
A robot vacuum... From China... And even with a camera? It's no surprise that some people have serious concerns about data protection.
The sticker on the stereo camera speaks for itself.
Roborock states that only the robot vacuum processes the images taken by the camera. It immediately deletes them after processing.
If you activate the "Real photos" function, you can view the pictures of each recognised obstacles in the app. To do this, it has to send the data via the cloud. It encrypts the photos before sending them out, and the Roborock app decrypts them again. The manufacturer has no access to the data.
Furthermore, the manufacturer informs that the Reactive AI solution complies with the strict requirements of the DSGVO (European Data Protection Regulation). A third party also audited and certified the procedure.
Unfortunately, there’s no cover film for the camera included in the delivery scope. It’s too bad because some users would feel a bit more comfortable with such a cover.
You can also completely deactivate the Reactive AI function in the mobile app. The robot vacuum cleaner can still navigate through your home without this function. However, automatic obstacle detection isn’t available then.
If you don't want to use Reactive AI technology, the Roborock S6 MaxV might not be the best choice.
This function is what makes the robovac so unique. Its predecessor, the Roborock S5 Max (Here you can find our detailed Roborock S5 Max review), would be a great alternative then.
Overall impression of the Roborock S6 MaxV App
The app leaves nothing to be desired.
As usual, Roborock UK offers many valuable functions in its user-friendly and concise app.
Using the mobile phone app is child's play and intuitive. You’ll get the hang of it in no time.
Our team has tested various apps from numerous robot vacuum manufacturers. The Roborock app is, without question, one of the best there is.