Even the greatest "climber" among the robot vacuums can’t overcome a door threshold of approx. 2.3 - 2.4 cm (~ 0.9 inches).
But what if your doorsteps are higher than that?
Some flats in old buildings have extremely high thresholds (sometimes 2.5 - 3 cm (1 - 1.2 inches) and higher).
That’s not the end of the world. There’s a solution to this problem: A special robot vacuum doorstep / threshold ramp.
You can build a doorstep ramp yourself - depending on your craftsmanship - or just buy one online* on Amazon UK.
PS: This will also make your flat "barrier-free" and thus wheelchair-, walker- or pram-friendly. High thresholds also won’t be typical "tripping hazards" anymore. That ensures more safety in your home.
There are a few features to consider when choosing a robot vacuum doorstep ramp:
- You have the choice between a "fixed" ramp construction or a ramp that you can put down shortly before the vacuum starts cleaning and remove it afterwards.
- Make sure that the ramp matches the colour of your floor.
- If you have very high door thresholds, the ramp should have the smallest possible inclination (the ramp must be longer). The robot vacuum may not be able to drive up the ramp if it’s very steep.
- If it’s a fixed ramp construction, you have to pay attention that the ramp on the side where the door opens can’t be higher than the threshold. Otherwise, you won’t be able to open the door.
- With very high thresholds (> 3 cm), you may need a ramp from both sides. The robotic vacuum may not descend the threshold because it sees it like a precipice.
A small tip: You can avoid that by covering the crash sensors with opaque adhesive tape. But be careful: you can’t have "real" precipices (e.g. stairs) in your home then. That wouldn’t end well for your household helper.
Solution No. 1: Buy a robot vacuum doorstep / threshold ramp
Not all people are skilled craftsmen and can build a robot vacuum doorstep ramp themselves.
It’s not necessary.
You can buy doorstep ramps in all shapes and colours on Amazon in the UK.
You can conveniently purchase a corresponding rubber ramp on the Internet (buy here from Amazon* UK).
- Very slip-resistant. You won’t have to nail the rubber ramp to the floor or screw it down in any other way.
- Flexibility. You can leave the ramp permanently in place or put it away after each cleaning.
- Low wear and tear and, therefore, long-lasting
- Rubber optics may not appeal to everyone’s taste
Rubber Threshold Ramp*
You can also buy metal ramps online* for little money on Amazon UK.
But you have to screw these to the floor.
If you don’t want to do that, you can also use self-adhesive ramps.
These ramps are available in different colours. You’ll find a matching style for sure.
- No craftsmanship skills required
Rubber Threshold Ramp*
Special robot vacuum doorstep ramp made of wood (customised)
If you want a high-quality ramp, you can also buy a customised robot vacuum doorstep ramp made of wood.
You can choose the wood type and colour.
The ramps are manufactured in Germany according to your needs and are of very high quality.
- Visually not appealingIndividual customisation. They will adjust the ramp according to your living situation.
- Very high-quality workmanship
- Regional and sustainable manufacturing
- Beautiful look (matching your floor)
Solution No. 2: Build your own robot vacuum doorstep ramp
If you are good at handicrafts, you can build a robot vacuum doorstep ramp yourself.
Wood is very suitable because you can buy it in almost every DIY store for little money and it looks very nice. You can also choose the best (colour-wise) matching type of wood (depending on your floor’s colour and condition).
Please measure the door threshold’s height and width in advance.
Then you can cut the wood to the appropriate length/height and sand it down.
Please make sure that the angle of inclination of your ramp is not too high. Otherwise, your robot vacuum will have a hard time driving onto the ramp.
Once you built the ramp, you can apply a wood preservative. That’ll keep the wood in good condition for as long as possible. It won’t wear out too quickly either.